Saturday, June 9, 2012

Roasted Tomato & Lentil Soup

We had a busy day running around and got stuck in the rain, not a little bit or rain, like monsoon pour.  So I started craving homemade soup and remembered seeing an entry from Linda Wagner's Nutrition to invigorate mind, body, and spirit's blog and started thinking of making something along those lines, but adding in lentils.  We got home and I immediately got working in the kitchen.

I preheated the oven to 350 and on parchment lined roasting pan added for about 15 minutes :
9 vine tomatoes cut in half
2 cloves of elephant garlic
1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of serrano honey vinegar (substitute balsamic)
pinch of sea salt
freshly grated black pepper

I rehydrated the 1 cup of dry lentils over the stove top with 2 cups of water for 15 minutes on medium high heat while the tomatoes were roasting and in a different pan I sauteed on the stovetop with a drizzle of EVOO:
3 green onions diced
1/2 yellow onion diced
1 teaspoon of hot chili pepper flakes.

I then combined both of the contents of the saute pan and roasting pan into the food processor and pulsed for 45 sec to a minute with 3 sprigs of fresh thyme and one sprig of fresh oregano and drained the lentils.  I then added the tomato mixture and the lentils back to the sauce pan and added 1/2 tablespoon of organic brown sugar and left the heat on medium low to simmer for another 10 minutes.  I spooned into a bowl and added diced green onions on top.





.






No comments:

Post a Comment